The University of Puerto Rico at Rio Piedras, and its tower
Workforce: Expand-section
In 1900, the Normal School was founded online degree in Industrial Fajardo as the first institution of higher education in Puerto Rico, dedicated to those who become teachers in the island to obtain online degrees. At that time, only had 20 students and 5 teachers. A year later, in 1901, was moved to the town of Rio Piedras, Fajardo because the roads were in terrible conditions.
On March 12, 1903, under the administration’s commissioner of public instruction, Samuel McCune Lindsay, the Second Legislative Assembly approved a bill creating the University of Puerto Rico at Rio Piedras, handing her the entire budget of the Ecole Normale Island. This school became the first online education department of the university, home of the Faculty of Education and current core of the University of Puerto Rico.
And legally established, the online degree University of Puerto Rico began its first academic year (1903-1904) with an enrollment of 173 students. Due to the shortage of teachers in the island, most of these students received appointments to the Department of Public Instruction to teach in schools without having completed four years of study online education. This explains why the first graduation in June 1907, with only 13 graduates.
In 1907 he graduated the first class of the normal course of four years, after which the University is legally established. Here were students like Carlota Matienzo, Isabel Andreu, Loaiza Cordero, Marina Rovira, and Juan Herrero.
On September 22, 1913, they opened the departments of law and Pharmacology. At the time, the university required only demanded the eighth-grade diploma, but with the online education expansion of the courses, these requirements also increased. Beginning in 1917, the Departments of Normal, Liberal Arts, Pharmacology and law requiring distance learning high school diploma.
Curiously, the small bell of those times, to call the students to class, was secured by Demetrio Valdejulli, who did such work until 1920.
On February 21, 1931, Dr. Carlos E. Chard